Thursday 25 August 2011

I write to you from the comfort of the rav 4....(its actually pretty comfortable)

Today was wet,wild and kinda fun. It all started pretty early back at Rainy  Lake. I ate some food, pulled on the spandex and ran out the door. Michael was determined to ride with me today so we headed off into the rolling forests of the north. We travelled at a good speed and soon the sky looked like it was going to devour us at any time. It started to mist and than rain as we sped through the down pour. This was the first time it has rained on me and I was enjoying myself. Most people would think cycling in the rain for 7 and a half hours straight would be the worst day. I however have to look on the bright side because I  don't really have a choice. I got a free shower today? haha As many of you know I live in Victoria.....not Hope. Living on the west coast makes me look forward to rain and wind instead of dread it. Bears are like a distant cousin too. After a couple hours of this I was still feeling pretty good and so was Michael. My legs seemed to have recovered well although after tonight I think its back to square one. At the  start of this trip I used to think a small man with a mallet would sneak into my bed at night and take a couple whacks at Lance and Thor. I would get up and laugh at how much my legs hurt and how I was still going to have to climb  a couple mountains.....those days are gone. Now I just am sore all the time but more of a solid suffering instead of "wow the small man with  the mallet visited again"  Anyways the day went on and I felt strong, even Michael carried on. I rode into Atikokan with lifted spirits  because I  knew today would not be terrible. I hunted for a moose who I called Bruce and the  Brown bears that were no where to be seen. We took Don up on his offer to stop in and we met his wife and saw his 1949 Ford. Pretty cool car...he said that if the weather was better he would have taken us up in his float plane...now there is a reason to bike home from 1st year haha (just kidding....that would be terrible) Don was awesome and gave us a bunch of water and Michael had a million questions to ask about flying planes. I found I was asking the most questions however because his old job seemed to be pretty great. Bush pilot for a moderately large fishing outposts.  After a small amount of time we left Don's and charged up the highway. This was Wet and Wild Wednesday after all. The final 30 km took forever and  I thought I spotted some bears but really it was just some stumps. The wild life is actually pretty terrible here.(no offense to Ontarians) The highlight for wild life was darth vaders tyee fighter ship. It sounded like this..whaarrreeerrrraaaa as it rocketed past us..(it was really just a Semi hauling a bulldozer) Eventually the rain quit and we arrived at our "campsite". It's really just a rest stop for truckers on the side of the highway. I feel like a dirty worm but what can you  do, we are camping.  I am done for the night  and Tomorrow will bring Thunder bay. It will be a huge milestone in the trip because that is where Terry's run for hope ended. I have come so far already and have gotten into the routine. Queens did an article on me for there paper like blog and I will post that up soon. It says I live in Hope BC haha thats some what unfortunate but at least its not Winnipeg MB. Round of applause for Michaelfor biking 175km today. That is a long ways to go and  he is pretty beat. I have to probably do the exact same distance tomorrow but am up for the challenge as usual.....tomorrow is thunder storm thursday 

Goodnight 

side of the high way....northern Ontario

5 comments:

Aunt Karen said...

Adam,

Glad to see the blog is up. This out of cell range is making me nervous and then when you didn't post a blog I thought the worst. I am glad that you are safe (if not soggy) and all is well. Good job Michael!!! Keep up the good work.

Dave Marcotte said...

Adam. Glad that you a back online, and still peddling away. Soon you will pass the Terry Fox monument just East of Thuder Bay. Might be a goos stop to pay homage to the ultimate Cdn road warrior.

Pedal safe and true.

Dave

Kyleigh said...

Hey Adam,
Your blog is amazing and very entertaining during a long evening at work. What you're doing is inspiring! Keep up the amazing work and we'll be seeing you soon!
love,
Kyleigh

Anonymous said...

Thunder Bay - a very symbolic stop for reasons you have mentioned. I am sure Terry is looking down on you and smiling.

Enjoy the rain, for the Ontario humidity is unlike anything we get here in Victoria. I remember the summer humidity and storms so well from my schooling in Ontario.

A lot of hills to come. When I was a young man near your age I biked through BC on my Canadian Tire mountain bike by myself, tent strapped on my bike. I know you road solitude. Enjoy the scenery - it is about to get really amazing - helps the km go by easier.

Victoria ex-phys

Anna said...

You are truly inspiring. What an amazing journey and accomplishment.
A Queen's grad mom and current student's mom.