Tuesday 23 August 2011

Day 17 97km.

Normally I would be really frustrated with cycling only 97km but sometimes things just don't go your way. It all started early this morning and I rolled out of bed to a massive pile of eggs, cheese and broccoli. I shoved that into the system and then ate some sandwiches and fruit. I have kinda slacked in the eating department I think. Maybe my body is just getting better at burning energy? I got on the bike a bit late and started to pedal..the first 15km are always really hard because your legs need to cycle the blood out of the muscles. I was feeling good and strong until I hit highway 71 and then my parents picked me up to drive me down to the 11. It's directly south of my position so don't worry about me cheating! The drive was an hour long and really killed my legs because they were just sitting there. The new road had 2 way traffic and and no shoulder...super awesome! I wasn't too stoked about it but I had to ride no matter what the road was. I set off and the heat started to increase along with the humidity. I thought I was in some tropical jungle but really it was just northern Ontario. I saw a pack of vultures and made my best attacking eagle scream. They weren't into it and flew off in a pack....no new friends today. The going was slow and my dad joined in on the fun. It was getting late in the day and the distance/day really sucked. My mom got stuck in construction and I had limited water in the 30 degree heat. That really sucked too. We kept on going and going until we reached one of the few signs of civilization out here. I met a man named Don (not my dad) and he was pretty cool. He drove a huge Harley and donated 5 bucks to the ride. Thanks Don! I looked down at my bike computer and saw it was only 97km done so far. The next town was 112km and it was 5pm. I had to take another tactical much to my own disliking and have an easy day. Apparently I only have to do 154km each day to make it to Queens on the 4th but I feel my body is starting to get run down. I will rest a bunch and do all of Kathy's tips but I think I will just push through it. I have to be strategic instead of just going as hard as possible each day. The ride is nearing the final 3rd and it's make or break time. Anyways we ended up at this awesome lake and I got to go for a swim and canoe into the sunset. Michael "found" a fishing rod and we set off to see if we would get lucky...as you can see today was not my lucky day. Tomorrow I will leave extra early and hopefully bike 200km. It will be a much different 200 than in the prairies and I will struggle tons but that's been my life for the past month. This ride has dominated every moment of the past 17 days whether I like it or not. I look forward to Queens for many reasons but I know I will miss some aspects of this wild adventure. I know my self pretty well by now and I will probably end up doing something pretty crazy when school gets out. An event on August 26th 2012 is sounding pretty good but I will actually have to train for that one. I think adventure racing is really cool and I may give that a whirl. Living your life the way I do leads to some pretty incredible experiences. If you want to start say yes instead of no next time someone asks you to do something outside your regular routine. Who knows maybe you will end up biking across the country in a couple years haha I should go to bed according to my mother....so I am going to bed. Holy I am tired!

Goodnight from Little Turtle Lake ON (that is the girliest name I have ever heard)

5 comments:

Don said...

Hi Adam and Don (Your Dad)
It was my pleasure to visit with you folks today. Wished I had thought at the time as I had water with me on my bike.

When you pass the entrance into Atikokan, check your mileage and click off about another 35km (East) and watch for Eva Lake Road on your left, turn onto it and pedal in about 1/6 km, first house to the right of Eva Lake Resort.

If you can afford the time we would like you to stop for a cold drink, sandwich and a dip in lake if you wish or just to say hello.

Our family so believes in your mission and that you chose to do it to get to the next stage of your life, UNIVERSITY.

signed...the other Don you met today and may the wind be on your back in your travels!

Anonymous said...

Great job - remember to keep your cadence up and enjoy the view.

Victoria ex-phys

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam, Thanks for sharing your travels,trials and tribulations. Good for you for getting out there for such a great cause. Although I never biked accross Canada I have driven it...Ontario is the longest and most challenging:) So keep smiling your almost there!
Best of luck.
M from ottawa

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam, Ann and Don and Michael. Today the radio announced we should be watching for a tornado. I think they mean YOU! You are just eating up the miles. Great work. Stay safe.
Love you Aunt Michelle

Dave Marcotte said...

Hi Adam. It looks like the weather is holding nicely for you. Enjoy the next few days. Looking forward to connecting here in Southern Ontario next week.

Dave