Monday 22 August 2011

197km..This ones for Jack.


Today started pretty early and the family and I enjoyed another awesome breakfast. I headed out of town with my mom and was dropped off when the highway began. I think the spa made me forget about how hard this trip really is. I was hit by a stiff head wind and my legs didnt feel super. The pain is like a seperate emotion. Its almost always there in various degrees but I have trained myself to welcome and accept it. If this trip has taught me one thing its how to suffer and still be an efficient cyclist. I was grinding along at 25km/h and finally started to get used to the unrelenting winds. After 2 hours the family met up

with me and Michael tried out my day job. Turns out the shoulder disappeared and we had to ride right on the highway. I sent Michael back to the car pretty quick haha he has zero road riding experience and it wasn't safe. I risk my lfe again on the roads for this ride and rode without a shoulder for 25km. I think there should be a law because it is actually really dangerous. The problem is that it costs the gov so much money. These road projects cost millions. Anyways Dad met up with me after lunch and I just rode easy behind him. We were making really good time and Michael wanted to join in. We pedaled together for a while and then we hit Ontario. I have biked all the way to Ontario. That is a huge accomplishment for me and I don't say that often. Its not the distance but its how I did it. I rode 2554km in 16 days. Before I left on this ride over the last 3 years I have ridden maybe 2000km in total. I think almost everyone can ride their bike across Canada. Very few could do it in 30 days. We took some photos in front of the sign and I tried to lift my bike over my head but failed. I ended up doing a handstand for 10 seconds haha (you had to be there) After the sign we set off again but this time I felt horrible. I just thought I was tired but when I was lying in a parking lot with 30km to go feeling like I had mono and was intoxicated I realized that I had taken no electro lytes all day. Essentially I 'bonked'..my energy stores were completely depleated. I downed a bunch of gaterade and a couple jells to try to reboot the system. It took sometime but eventually I was ready to smash through the highway once more. I pushed myself just trying to finish the ride and finally arrived with Michael and dad to our motel. Back to the grind as one would say. Tomorrow will be just as hard but probably worse. I am used to this though and tomorrow is just another day. Michael told me my calfs look like they have been carved with the finest marble. Rock crusher and Thunder punch are just trying to survive. I am really enjoying Northern Ontario so far and am loving the hills. Till tomorrow..

goodnight

Kenora ON

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific job, lad. Keep chugging, and remember to give your body its fuel. Protein for recovery - choco milk as soon as you are off the bike is a great protein + high carb replacement. On the bike go for simple sugars and electrolytes.

Drink before your are thirsty, eat before you are hungry.

Victoria ex-phys

Dave Marcotte said...

Hey Adam. In giant Ontario it might come down to nutrition desire and patience - somewhat conflicting skills. From where you are you can see the end. Kingston is in your time zone now. Ride safe and strong. Eat and drink strategically.

Wind at your back buddy.

Dave

Michelle Marcotte said...

Adam, You are doing great! Already in Ontario and still clicking along so quickly. Take a day off everyonce in a while it is good for you.
Love you! Aunt Michelle

Julia Chew said...

Hey Adam!
Saw you featured on the Queen's blog and wanted to give you a shout.
I just finished a 7800 km ride across the US for cancer research as well.
Your blog sounds great and from a rider that's been there, there's honestly no better feeling than reaching another time zone!

Wishing you the best on your journey, hope to see you biking around campus this fall!

*At least someone will be sharing those shamelessly bad bike jersey/shorts tan lines with me :)

Jules

Ann Marcotte ( not your Mom) said...

Adam: Another day another province way to go. I know that you take pictures when you cross provinces but remember in Ontario to stop for the other memorable photo ops like the Goose in WAWA. Stay hydrated and enjoy the scenery.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam,
Used to live on Vancouver Island and like to keep up to date on the BC news. I came across you're story and have been reading your blog faithfully each day!
You are truly an inspiration and you're going to go far one day!!!
Safe Journies, you're almost there!

Best of luck to you from the Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia!

Erin Acton said...

I totally agree with you about the lack of shoulders in Manitoba. It's completely unsafe and needs to be fixed. I rode on the Trans Canada Highway through that province and was terrified. Some other cycling friends of mine were also riding through MB when a police officer told them to ride "on the shoulder." He must have been referring to the soft, crushed gravel at the side of the road, which would have been impractical at best.

Best of luck on your journey.