Thursday 25 August 2011

139k....Thunder Bay and the final segment of my tour.

Hello everyone,

Today went really well for the most part. I still felt like a dirty worm when I woke up and seriously contemplated jumping in the lake right outside our tent. I forced some slimy eggs down and headed on the road. As soon as I took a couple rotations I knew I was going to kill it today. My legs felt really strong and I wasn't as sore as I usually am. Michael decided to join in today as well but after 20km he went into the car. As I said before this ride is really hard and sometimes you really want to quit. I had that sensation on the very first day after only 110km but I never ever really considered it as a viable option. I kept on riding through the mystical forests of the north and looked for moose..(still no luck!) My dad eventually joined in and we headed off in silence. I zoned out for a good 5km and thought about arriving in Queens and which celebratory dance I was going to throw down when I arrive. I snapped out of my dream and followed my Dad's steady pace at 30km/h. I was sprinting up hills and felt awesome....the day went on and we passed through a bunch of construction. I received a lovely flat tire which my Dad and I fixed. We met up with mom and Michael who were sleeping like a baby rodents in the car. (I think yesterday really tired him out) I was sitting in the drivers seat playing angry birds as my mom made me a sandwhich when I heard police sirens go off and then a KTM motorcycle and rider fly off at an incdredible speed down the road as the 5-0 chased. It was like a scene right out of COPS! The motorcycle accelerated at an astounding rate and sped past cars. I just starred in awe and wondered how far he would get before he crashed and died. (I was later told he was travelling at 240km/h.......!!!!!!!!!) Turns out the mystery rider escaped the cops ironically enough and was no where to be found. I finished today's ride at Terry Fox's memorial, I wish I had more time to talk about my thoughts on him and his journey but its already 11 and I have to biike 185 tomorrow. What Terry acheived is so special and important in Canadian history as a testiment to the strengh of the human spirit. I cannot even fathom running 42km a day on one leg and I bike for 7 hours a day through hell. On the day when I had to climb 3 mountains in 200km I thought of Terry on the final push. He is probably one of the only people that could have ever understood what was going through my mind and why I was continuing in such agony. Terry is one of my heros and I really look up to him. He raised 24 million dollars for cancer reaserch and united a country. His life was cut very short but what he achieved in 23 years is absolutely incredible. I wish I could talk to Terry and thank him for changing so many peoples lives. Tomorrow I bike to Rossport and am excited for the ride. Queens is coming up real quick and I am just about ready for summer to be over. I have grown up so much in the last 30 days its actually annoying, being a kid is so much easier haha. Life moves quick though as we all know and I will make the most out of every day. Thats all for now.

ps. Shout out to all my friends heading to Mcgill, they start their frosh week tomorrow I think and I already miss them. Mike Jones I found out today is down in San Fran checking out Rock The Bells and living in a hostel....good luck Mike! haha Thanks Don for the water again, we drank it all and probably would have had to syphen swamp water without that donation.

Keep it classy San Diego..

A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't need to talk so much around your thoughts regarding Terry - your actions shout it.

You are a fine young man.

Have fun on the hills tomorrow - remember to spin at a good cadence.

Victoria ex-phys

Anonymous said...

Just flew from Victoria to Toronto and awaiting my flight to Quebec City. I flew right over top of you and gave you all my good energy. What a long flight. Gives one perspective.

Keep moving!

Victoria ex-phys

Michelle Marcotte said...

You have the same spirit and determination that Terry Fox did, and let's hope your life is much longer so you can keep on moving like he wanted to.

Don't mess with moose!
Cheers!
Aung Michelle