Monday 15 August 2011

224km, chasinG storms across the prairies. Farm animals are friends.

Hello everybody,

Today was a long one. It started late in Bow Island and I felt pretty drained. I got on the bike and headed off at 10:00. The start of the day was a grind but soon enough I put
Ironman on my ipod and I was off. After what seemed like quite a while I rode into Med Hat
and did some interviews. My mom made me a power sandwich and I devoured it. I left Med Hat and after 50k I hit SK. What an achievement. I was only in AB for two nights. The days of cycling on the Crowsnest Hwy3 are over. On to the trans Canada and new adventures. When I left Med Hat the spandex bullet was back in action. No tail wind just muscle...Thor and Lance have grown into fine men and the kids are pulling their weight. I looked at myself in the mirror today and had to take a double look. I have lost what ever fat I had..the bottom part of me looks like a tour de France rider. The top resembles a under fed 12 year old boy with a stomach that juts out like a water melon. I am in the best cycling shape of my life and it's pretty awesome to see just how strong I really am on the bike. Anyways once in Sask I started to pin it. I whipped past animals and tons of grass. Eventually I started hunting for bison but that didn't go to well.....buffalo soldier, in the heart of America. I was just peddling along thinking about how majestic horses are when I saw 6 wild horses chilling like villains on the other side of the fence. This was the moment Fernando had been waiting for. I hopped off the bike and picked up some grass. They galloped in a pack around the field while I starred in amazement. After some horse calling and pretending to hold a carrot they came over. Horses are beasts. They could destroy me at any moment but I didn't care....I was a horse whisperer. I tamed them and started to pet there massive bodies. All 6 were crowding for attention,shoving their bodies towards me. The Fernando in me almost ripped off his shirt and stratled the largest to attempt bare back riding. The Adam in me thought your going to kill yourself and probably make your mother upset. I left the horses and continued on. We shall meet again majestic animals and Fernando will have his way... http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=8rrCJRYVQGw. After that some idiot just about killed me, a car swerved into my shoulder and onto the gravel at 100km/h. He was just a 100m ahead of me. Rattled my chains but life moves on. I peddled and peddled till I saw a tempest forming behind. The race was on. Winds punched me in the face and I leaned just to balance, I was battling for ever km and loving life. I felt alive out in the open road fending off attacks while thunder roared across the prairie. Nature is like a dangerous women,if you don't respect her, she will kill you. I arrived at Gull Lake at 8pm. Turns out we are camping in the dangerous women. This is exciting and lame because I am in a 23 dollar 2 men Walmart tent with my mom. Tomorrow is a new day and fresh legs, the spandex bullet is destroying provinces and has no intention of slowing down (sorry dad) another 225 km hopefully tomorrow for Moose Jaw...I just want to fly like the wind on a wild white horse but thats life I guess. Till tomorrow,

Goodnight

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

man i miss you
-Erin

Dave Marcotte said...

Adam. Enjoying reading your stories every day. What a chronical of strength!

Dial us Springsteen's Thunder Road onthe ipod. Great cycling/running music.

Enjoy the rest of Saskatchewan as it blurrs by.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Way to go Adam. It sure is nice hearing your cross-country stories. Seems like a great way to see the open spaces.
You're keeping great time and becoming expert in flats. It was good hearing about the wind blasting behind you.
Keep on rolling.
John, Susan, Jaymie and Dylan

Anonymous said...

As a friend of a friend of a friend ... love your example of living life to the fullest. Best of luck with all of your adventures!

Luvy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luvy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luvy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luvy said...

Hello Adam,
I just read your last blog and I must tell you I really enjoyed reading it. I laughed at the imagery of horses as villains and their attention hungry behaviour seeking your caress. I am curious to know more about "Fernando".
I look forward to reading your older blogs and the new ones to come.
Cheers,
Luvy Gonzalez