Sunday 14 August 2011

206km in just over 6 hours..the spandex bullet has been born...

hey hey hey,

Today started late and I had a moderately large breakfast. As soon as i got on the bike I felt this wild wind whipping across from the west. I started out and it was pulling me sideways. I had to fight it and it beat me up just trying to ride. Eventually I turned onto the highway and bam I was off. This was that tail wind that was whispered about in a hushed voice among cyclist that I had met. Soon I was traveling at 50km/h and loving life. I started to push it and hit 57 on the flats, I was like a missile rocketing across the horizon. Soon I had reached 40km in just over an hour...a new record. Not too much time later hit 80km in just 2 hours. I had 2 flat tires in a row til I switched my rear wheel out for some new rubber. Eventually I reached Lethbridge and did some interviews and TV stuff. I left Lethbridge with the intention of getting to Medicine Hat for the night (160km away). I had already done 100km...the tailwind was pretty awesome but as soon as it was there it vanished. I grinded out the last 100km with no ipod because it died for good...mana souce depleted...I just leveled down like 23 times.....meats rattled. Like always the last bit is always terrible and I had to really push myself to reach the town of Bow Island. I burned thousands and thousands of calories today and got some really sweet tan lines. Tomorrow is Sask and a new province, finally I am in decent shape. It's late and I should head to bed. Skype with friends gets me through each day. I saw a bunch of bison today! That was really cool because they are such interesting animals. I used to read about bison runs that the Metis would have. Pople stare at me on the road like I am an alien. One kid started yelling at me like I was a monster...either that or he was saying gooooo in a really high pitch, awkward voice. Another interesting fact is I find tons of booze on the side of the road. At one point there was a Texas mickey and 30 Budwiser. That's not too good because drunk drivers tend to kill cyclists. Its okay though because the spandex bullet is far too fast to get hit by a 2 ton truck...thats all for now.


bon soir

A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,
My cousin Nancy Cameron told me about your ride and I have made a donation in honour of two of my daughters, who both had cancer as children. I've seen the immediate impact of research on cancer treatment and on mitigating the debilitating effects of treatment and deeply appreciate your efforts to raise money for this cause.

Ten years before my eldest daughter was diagnosed with Burkitt's Lymphoma, 90% of children died. When she became ill, research had improved treatments so much that 90% of patients are now cured. However, a side-effect of her treatment was almost uncontrollable nausea and vomitting. But when her sister was diagnosed with leukemia only 3 years later, research had led to the development of new anti-nausea medications that controlled her nausea completely. Thank you so much for your efforts!
I'll share your blog with my youngest daughter, who will be starting at Queen's in biology in September!

Sincerely,
Valerie McDonald

Sra. McKay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha McKay said...

Way to go, Adam! The McKay family is proud of you! It was nice to see that you've been getting some good press at home--Oak Bay News and TC. This is such a great thing that you are doing. School will seem like a piece of cake after this. Good luck,
Martha & Phil McKay