Monday 29 August 2011

169km, the hardest day in recent memory....I came out on top.

Today, like most days, I went through a huge mental change as the hours go by. I started out pretty strong and declined till I was reduced to a ghost and then clawed back to the living and powered through till the end. I don't have much time but I will try to cover the key moments. I started off by myself and biked the 30km back to campsite. By the time I reached the site I was done. I lay down on the grass feeling dejected and told mom and dad how much I hated this ride. It makes me feel so terrible everyday. The day is done and I am still not very fond of it. Only 6 days to go but holy it's going to be hard to make it. I felt like quitting today..that's how done I was. I am no longer doing this for any personal achievement. Now it's for the kids with cancer, the people in the next 5 years that will be diagnosed with this disease. I hope the funds I raise will give them the gift of life. That's why I have been doing this all along. Michael crashed into me today at 30km\h while I was stopped getting directions. My seat slammed into my back and now all the muscles have tightened up. The pain and suffering I feel now is different than anything I have ever felt. My body is pretty much done..I need a rest day so badly but I can't take one. I honestly don't know if I will make it on time now. I am starting to lose my strength...I am so tired writing this I am just shoving food into my mouth and praying tomorrow will be better. It's no longer one day at a time, it's one hour at a time. I climbed forever today. After the crash I ended up in the car just sitting and staring at a tree totally drained and could barely handle sitting in spandex let alone biking for another 69km. I drained a bottle of Coke and headed off to the worst hills in northern Ontario. I finished the day after 8pm in the dark with my dad. I feel like the life is being sucked out of me and I am just a walking body. I have been fatigued for 22 days so that would make sense. Today's achievment...I have biked 3,653km in 23 days. the tour de France riders ride the same amount in 26 days..that would explain why I am so tired. No one said this ride would be easy, and to be completly honest It was relativly easy until now. Sure I had tough days and was tired all the time but it was never terrible all the time. For the last 3 days it has been terrible all the time haha. I am not trying to whine and complain for sympathy. I am just explaining my position so everyone understands what I am going through. I need to go to bed and have another big day tomorrow. Wish me luck

Goodnight

11 comments:

Tom Pickles said...

Hang on in there Adam,You're doing an amazing ride.
Not much further, and as they say "The night is blackest before the dawn"

Anonymous said...

Adam;

I work with your uncle Dave in Ottawa and I've been following your blog with thoughts like "I wish I were doing that" since you started. It's been fascinating to read about your progress and I feel it's time to chime with with some words of support!

Ontario is the long stretch of rocks, lakes and trees of the pre-Cambrian Shield as you are discovering the hard way but you will push your way through it with the help of your family, the best wishes of many of us who are cheering you along, and for the good cause you have chosen. Hang in there!

Malcolm

Art & Frieda Mountain said...

Hi Adam,
Hey, you are on the Home Stretch!
After all the superhuman effort you have put out and the pain and hardships you have endured over the last 23 days, your reserves are bound to be getting a bit low! But after you are past Sault Ste Marie, the terrain should level out quite a bit. So try to pace yourself through the rough stuff and hang in there! We know you can make it! We watch for your blog every day, our hearts are with you!

Art & Frieda Mountain

P.S. Maesa says "Hi"!

Anonymous said...

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight,
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight"

Bruce Cockburn

Keep kicking, Adam. Drink those calories.

Victoria ex-phys in Parksville

Anonymous said...

Take it easy Adam. We are all supportive of what you have done already. You have been super! Keep your own pace, its not a race.

John Susan Jaymie Dylan.

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam, you are really following in Terry's track. You visited my parents in Melita and that is where Terry Fox's mom, Betty, was born and raised. It is a sign! Be inspired by the small things and places that you are seeing and the big goal will soon be within your reach. It is going to flatten out and you will fly once again.
take care!
Susan

Dave Marcotte said...

Adam. We call them the Great Lakes. Really. They are oceans. And the mightiest, wildest, most impolite is craggy Superior.
As you approached it from the tame praries did you have any idea what lie ahead? You have to experience it now.

Soon, today possibly, you will be turning your back on the monster. You have climbed, conquered tamed it. You and few others.

Downhill to Kingston. See you soon.
Dave

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Adam.....it will be behind you soon and you will be riding the wave of total exhilaration when you think back of your success!

Aunt Joan

Aunt Karen said...

Adam, you are breaking my heart. Stay strong. Know that an infinitesimal number of people in the world could do what you are doing...both physically and mentally. It is a mental challenge now. Stay with it. We are all behind you (sitting on our asses). Looking forward to celebrating with you in Kingston!!!

Paul Balfour said...

Keep Going. I have those words stenciled on my Trek. You're doing a great job, Adam, hang in there.

My son, Alex, 13 has been battling leukemia, hopefully the hard part is behind him now. As you may know, just 10 or 15 years ago survival rates in this are were 15% to 20%. Now they are the reverse. Why? Research.

This is why you are doing what you're doing.

Keep Going.

Sporting Sam said...

Pain is temporary - pride is forwever - My mate Rob who did 16 iron mans but succumbed to cancer used to have that as his mantra - hang in there Adam - the South Africans are toi toi-ing for you
Hambagashli
Sam