Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 25 137km tired but good day

Hello,

I write to you from Blind River. I am really really tired again and will keep this extremely short. I had a good day! I thought there were no good days left for me but I was wrong. I just spun the cranks and rode the easiest 138km of my life. I am crashing again though as I write this. It's the worst feeling in the world. I am going to bed and it's 8pm. 5 more days of this hell ride and then I am free and can lead a somewhat normal life. I am finishing this ride. I have biked for over 3800km and have sacrificed so much of my body and soul. I am starting to really fall apart after I get off the bike but I am confident I can hold out for 5 more days. Thank you so much for all your support...it is pulling me through the worst times. To Paul, your son is the reason I am killing myself everyday for hours. I wish him and your family the best. One day at a time and I got this thing. Its my 18th birthday tomorrow. I never thought I would enter adulthood in the state I am in but what the hell, life is one wild ride sometimes and right now I am just trying to hold on. Today was my easy day. The next 3 are somewhat difficult. Every 10km is a huge victory for me...I am happy in the mornings and completely fall apart in the evenings haha I can barely understand what's happening to my body and well being. I know it's from being over worked and it is finally starting to get to me. The ironic part is Lance and Thor are as strong as ever, it's just everything else that's starting to go. I know myself very well and I need a rest day. The difference between this ride and other charity rides is that I have a set end date. It's now a race against time and it changes so many dynamics compared to a ride across the country without a deadline. When I finish this thing I will be a bear in spirit and sleep for 24 hours. Till then I am a fighter, this trip has made me tough as nails and nothing is going to stop me from getting to Queens. I don't care if I end up having the wheel myself there in a wheel chair through the night. I have what it takes to do what seems to be impossible. I am going to bed. Last night I woke up at 4am starving and ate the piece of pizza haha. I had a dream that I was speaking to my high school about following your dreams and believing in yourself. I hope my ride has inspired you to make a positive change in your life. I have lived my life for others because that is what makes me truly happy. I use my powers for good instead of evil haha I have no S on my chest (I actually have an awkward V tan line) but sometimes I pretend to and end up doing crazy things like riding 4500km in 30 days. I am pumped because I know I am so close to achieving the greatest thing I have ever done. It has been a long road, I feel like it's been 2 years not 30 days haha but its almost all over. Wish me luck! Its goooo timeeeee haha

ps. I am staying at this small motel in this small town. 2 doors down is a young man who is attending Queens in the fall from SMU.....small world and it made me smile. I can't believe it's my birthday tomorrow....I have a secret plan called "gunshot". I will execute it in the final 10km of my day tomorrow and try to get it on video..that is all

Goodnight

Almost birthday boy-man

Blind River ON

20 comments:

Renée said...

Happy birthday, Adam. 18 is a great age, and you are really becoming an adult - with flying colours and A++++ all the way. I really admire what you're doing, and wish you all the strength as you get through these next few days. After this ordeal, university will be a breeze!

From a parent of a Queen's 2nd year student.

Dave Marcotte said...

Lots of good days left Adam. A few days of flat road in front of you and then HWY 41 on Saturday will be a bit hilly. I am looking forward to riding with you on Saturday for 30 K or so. Hope tha you can take it easy on me. Anyway at the end of the road that day a bit of family time at our cottage.

It is all good.

Ride safe. Almost there.

Dave

Alison C said...

Hey Adam. My name is Alison. I am originally from the area of Thessalon one of the small towns that you just biked thru. My daughter Jasmine is also a first year student going to Queens. We leave in a few days as well. After following your ride the last few weeks I just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done. Great program and cause you are riding for.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Adam!!! i hope your folks buy you your favourite cake to celebrate. you are doing great just take it day by day.
Best wishes!
John, Susan, Jaymie and Dylan

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Adam!

Glad you had a good day!

And tomorrow will be even better!

You have the end in your sights now!

Art & Frieda.

Michelle Marcotte said...

Hey Adam, you share a birthday with Clare who is turning 30 on the 31st. Keep taking care of yourself and listen to your mother so you will see 30 too!
Love ya,
Aunt Michelle

Caryn said...

Hi Adam,
We are glad to hear you had a better day today, one day at a time... you're sooo close now!!! We are all so inspired and impressed with your steely determination to see this ride through to the end and you're almost there!
We hope you have a good day tomorrow, your birthday! It will be a memorable one for sure! We'll toast you at dinner.
All our best, Caryn & Jim

gamedaygeorge said...

Greetings from a Queen's grad (1999) living Down Under in Australia. Just read about your story, and its great, inspiring and epic. Just like I hope your years at Queen's will be! Finish strong - you've already done yourself and your cause very proud. Cha Gheill! (http://qnc.queensu.ca/Encyclopedia/c.html#ChaGheill!) George

Ann Marcotte ( not your Mom) said...

Happy Birthday to you - 18 years old and look at what you have already accomplished. Every day left will require you to dig deep but you can do it,you are so focused on your cause. The ride will be easier and look forward to seeing you Saturday, while I will not ride with you I will bring high protein snacks and be a cheering section.

Stay strong

Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam!

Just to let you know how many people you reach; I'm a Greek/Canadian guy living in both countries 6 months at a time. I've
been on the island of Zakynthos,Gr (parents originally from here)the
last 5 months and I like to read news stories from back home while I'm away. I've been following your blog since day one of your journey!
I love sports in general and I bike almost every day. What you're doing is an amazing feat and in your case it's a matter of survival
each day. This is a fine theme for people to follow- you must push yourself to the limit and reach your goals as often as you can! Why? Because life is short and we have to give it some meaning and put our stamp on things! We never know if we will fall sick or have an accident so lets not take our health for granted.
The beauty of your ride is you're telling cancer patients to fight back as well as helping medicine find a cure. Happy Birthday Adam, stay safe, heal your pain and that of others!
Dennis.

Liz Kay said...

Wow! Impressive. Best of luck and we'll see you in Kingston.
Liz Kay - Queen's classes of '01/'02

Karen Marcotte said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADAM. This is a birthday you will NEVER Forget. We are all so proud of you and looking forward to the family reunion you inspired in Ompah, just before your triumpant ride into Kingston.

Unknown said...

Wow!

Happy Birthday, Adam! I stumbled upon an article about your journey on the Queen's website, and I am so amazed by what you are doing! You are doing such a great thing for cancer research and it's determination like yours that will really make a difference.

From a fellow Queen's student, good luck! My mom always tells me, "no pain, no gain". With all the hard work you've put in, you are certainly moving mountains.

Chromajoy is... said...

Happy Birthday, Adam!
Our family is telling everyone we know about your ride. You can't imagine how proud of your achievement we are. R O C K O N, Mystic Man, you don't have far to go. And by-the-way, the tears flow every time Sandy checks your blog because she's so moved!
- Cal, Sandy and the young 'uns

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADAM, YOU ROCK!!!
In honour of your 18th birthday today each member of our family are donating $18 to your cause and challenging everyone we know to do the same. I just called JACK fm. They remembered your story and cause and happily put it on their morning show and let us post your blog on their FaceBook page. We will keep getting the word out there today (i.e. like your ol' soccer team as well!) and a few other great radio stations.

Hang in their kiddo, you are on the 'home stretch'.

From "the Johnson's"...(Riley, Taylor, Pauline & Darryl)

Anonymous said...

!!!Happy Birthday!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Adam, from a Queen's alumnae who is heading down to Kingston on Saturday with my daughter who is heading into first year. Your journey is inspirational! Rest assured that the pain you are feeling now, while intense, will soon be gone, but the satisfaction of accomplishing your goal will remain with you forever. God Bless :)

Heather Lye said...

I hope that some of those currently battling cancer have found your blog - this kind of thing has to be an inspiration. I have participated in a couple of Can.Cancer Society fundraisers over the last few years myself, but nothing near what you are experiencing. I also taught a student last year who was battling (and has beaten) Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
The Queen's University life will be a tremendous reward to you.
~From a Queens Alumna
ArtSci08
Bed09

Paul Balfour said...

Happy Birthday, Dude!

Sarah said...

wow, is all I have to say. I rode a measly 30k today and then came home and read your article on the queens facebook page. I can't even begin to imagine how much dedication, effort and selflessness a ride like yours takes. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, the world needs more people like you. Good luck on the remainder of your ride and see you at frosh week!
-fellow first year Queens student