Saturday 20 August 2011

150km another easy day and a family reunion.

Hello guys,

This will have to be a short one because its getting late. I woke up this morn in a field after a really terrible dream. I was driven back to the highway and than set off on the bike. I was in a super good mood because I was having a rest day tomorrow. I just had to grind through 150km to get to Winnipeg and than I am home free. The weather was actually a bit chilly from what I am used to and I just cruzed along. Pretty average day except for 2 things. I was peddling along when I noticed an old air plane with a radial engine. It noticed me as well and started to drop a gas over the crops below. As it reached the highway I sprinted so I would pass directly underneath it as it sped 20 feet overhead. I felt like a kid again haha that was really cool. I had another near death/serious injury incident today. I was merging onto an overpass like bridge and shoulder checked as I crossed lanes. I kept peddling as the shoulder got smaller over the bridge and shoulder checked once more before I entered the lane. All I saw was a mix of grey and black wizzing past me at 100km/h. Turns out a semi was about a foot away from me and if I wouldn't have looked I would be dead. Having good instincts on the road literally keeps you alive. I froze and my body pretty much went into shock for 10 seconds. I looked into the cab and the driver just looked back to see if I was still there. I don't think he liked cyclist very much. After that I rode into town and went to the hotel we will be staying at for 2 nights with my Dad and brother who arrived tonight. It's really nice to just kick back and not worry about tomorrow and the pain I will have to endure. I think I will go for a swim instead.

Goodnight
Winnipeg MB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam, enjoy your time off, sounds like it will be wonderful family time! You deserve it! Hope you get to enjoy a relaxing massage!

Joan

Ann Marcotte ( not your Mom) said...

Adam: I thought of you in today's spinning class and your amazing determination and drive.OK so 50 minutes of indoor spinning does not equate to your ride but as I am building my quads from Tinkerbell to Minnie Mouse I sweat, smile and visualize your journey. Like Joan says enjoy your day off with family and take it easy. Glad you are getting and taking the advice of a physiotherapist, it is such a great profession. Also at the cottage this weekend the leaves are starting to turn so as you enter Ontario you will begin to see the majestic fall colours. As well beware the moose that enter the road especially at dusk.

Ann

Dave Marcotte said...

A rest day is a good thing. Training is about resting as much as anything else. Enjoy the downtime, and then get ready to eat Ontario. Eat or be eaten.

Dave

Unknown said...

Hey Adam... thanks so much for thinking of me and my family and dedicating a ride to us. We all have our challenges, and we are all enjoying following yours! Ontario will be nothing compared to the BC/Alberta mountains. We'll be thinking of you!
Lise, Michael, Nora and Kate (she's back from Europe on Wednesday!)

Michelle Marcotte said...

Adam,
YOu are amazing. But, you are scaring the hell out of me with some of your stories. Eat well, sleep well and look over your shoulder!
Aunt Michelle