Saturday 20 August 2011

118km easy day Sacred Sand Dunes will have a special place in my heart

Today`s ride is for Lise and her family. Couldn't post last night because we had no cell coverage.

I write to you from deep inside the flooded forests of Manitoba. My mom and I are camping in a field with that 23 dollar tent again near some sacred sand dunes. I am really into it, I think she might be a bit scared...the real campground is flooded.
My day started really late because I couldn't get to sleep very well in the night. I realized why later but will talk about that after the day. I had an awesome breakfast and looked over my blog and email. To those of you that have written me and I haven`t responded don't take it personally. I read every one of your comments twice! but am literally too exhausted to respond when the day ends. After breakfast I suited up and took some hilarious photos with the Jobbins. I was soooo tired and looked wasted but managed a smile. We got in the car and I knew today was going to be a grind. The recipe was there for a disaster but than Kathy Gaul saved the day! She has helped me with many things this year like giving me advice on university to training and recovery. Every time I talk to her I am so amazed with her intellect and basically she just gets dealing with athletes and the problems that they bring. She told me to have an easy day or you're  going to injure yourself. She also thought it would be a good idea for me to see a physio just to have a check up and see about my odd leg sensations I was having the prior day. I got off the phone and strattled my bike with a better mindset about the challenges ahead. For some reason I couldn`t stop smiling for 10 kilometers but soon that ended when what felt like 100 bug bites started up on the back of my legs. I was scratching like a wild monkey and was super uncomfortable. Eventually I stopped and met up with my mom. Kathy had arranged a physio in Brandon and I biked until my mom had to drive me to the physio. Chad was the guy I saw and he was pretty awesome. Turns out it was related to my posture on the bike and how I need to have a flatter back. After I left West Fit I got my mom to drop me off where she picked me up on the highway and started off. I have never biked with such a straight back! It's actually uncomfortable for extended periods of time but its better than  nerves firing off in your legs..I biked and biked until Carberry and than hopped off the bike. I only biked 114km today but my legs feel great. I even went for a adventure run in the sand dunes to look at the sunset after the ride. Before my run I met some really nice people who were going to take some photos. I told them about my blog and they were amazed by what I was doing. That seems to  happen a lot when I tell people about the ride so I guess its a reminder I am doing something special. On my run I saw some cool animals and probably witnessed one of the most gorgeous sunsets this year. (don't worry I snapped a photo). On the walk back I kept on expecting some wild animal to attack me from behind and envisioned a cougar emerging from the bushes and me having to fend it off with a pocket camera...it was a pretty epic battle. I made it back to the campsite and ate a massive dinner...I had 3 dinners tonight and will probably have a 4th after I post this. Tomorrow will be 160km to Winnipeg and than a much needed rest day. I have crossed 3 provinces  and am about to destroy another. Everyone talks about northern Ontario like its some monster. I think I have slayed some pretty big beasts so far and am not to concerned as long as I am healthy.

To date I have raised over 20 000 dollars for cancer research and and have ridden 2210km in just 13 days. Burnt through thousands of calories and made a bunch of new friends along the way. I miss home but know what I am doing is really important and I look forward to the challenges of tomorrow.  Having a good attitude is so important on the road. I blame my mom for pretty much everything that goes wrong, even things that she has no control over....like the wind. We laugh about it later and I am always thankful  she is here. Without my parents I would probably be in Albeta trying to ride a horse named Vicky and eating mass quantities of fruit. Instead I am thousands of Kilometers from home achieving a dream. Thanks mom and dad

ps. Thanks Jobbins for having us, Betty your food was so tasty I am still eating your sandwiches over my  mothers. Photography friends, my email is beaudoin.adam@gmail.com if you want to get in touch for what ever reason. I  have never been to Winnipeg before and am stoked to see your city....landscaping is a very respectable job by the way.

Goodnight,I hope the bugs don't bite......there are several thousand

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam - glad you have figured out the problem to your leg. Hopefully no tendonitis will ever bear its head.

Kathy is a great lady, for sure.

Here is to some tailwinds for you on the days to come. A day off would still be a good idea some time soon.

Keep up with the protein and keep your spirits high. I smile every morning as I run/walk past Lincoln Ave.

Victoria ex-phys

Anonymous said...

Re-read you entry and saw you are taking the day off in Winnipeg - great news. It will pay many dividends in the days to come. Get your bike tuned up as well.

Victoria ex-phys

Anonymous said...

It's good that you give mom and dad credit here for what they are doing for you. Especially mom since she takes a lot on and we have a habit of making everything her problem. We are so lucky to have such supportive parents! Measa and I miss and love you.
-Erin