Thursday 18 August 2011

Today is..218km, Manitoba, a new timezone, 7 hours, better tan lines, stronger legs,new 40 timetrial record and a new day

Hello,

Today started pretty well. I had some awesome eggs from the lady who owns the bed and breakfast. I ate really as much as I could and than suited up for the day. Met a nice women who worked for the UN and her daughter. I don't know how old the daughter was but she seemed super smart. I realized something when I clipped in to the bike. The tail wind was back and that put a smile on my face. The spandex bullet was back with a vengence. I needed to prove to myself that I was still had the strength to do this thing. I shot off like a rocket, my legs pumping like pistons acclerating me forward along the farmland. I noticed today I am in really good shape. I was flying along at 45km/h breathing through my nose with a heartbeat below 100. I had my music bumping to something terrible and felt like I was on a motorcyle or something. Everything was going great and I had already done 70km in 2 hours. Suddenly I felt this odd sensation in my hamstring, almost like a bug was biting me on the downstroke. Recently I found out my right leg is slightly shorter than than my left....there goes a mutaion free code. To solve the problem I found some Mcdonalds and ripped apart the cardboard to create a small insole for my shoe. The pain subsided slightly and when I met with my mom and put in a better insole that was not made out of garbage. The day went on and I got pretty bored so I decided to ride off the highway through a field onto an abandoned highway. That was a pretty big rush because I was in waist high grass. I had no idea where I was going but ended up in the right spot eventually. After a quick lunch I got back to riding and noticed thousands of tomoatoes strewn out across the highway. There were hutterites trying to salvage some of the fruits, I was looking at the crisis when suddenly I went flying off the road. A gun shot like sound blasted off and I crashed out into some bushes laughing at myself. My back tire tube litterally exploded and I started to fix it. This man rolled up on a harley asking if I needed anything. He said he still had 2000km to go. I told him I had 2500km to go. He starred at my bike, looked at me, and said " you've got a lot of courage". He's probably right haha. This is a really challenging ride. I have new challenges every hour pretty much. Eventually I headed off and started to race again. I knew the border was coming up and I wanted to beat my mom there....she was in a car. I actually surprised myself. I maintained mid 40s for over an hour. My breathing was laboured and my legs were burning. It felt good to push my self. I biked 40km in under 60 min. Thats really fast, my mom beat me in the final km but I wasn't too choked about it. I hit the border with a smile and took some photos. I still had 40km to bike and I started to get tired for the first time today...I had already bike 170 haha. The last 20km were pretty terrible but they are always terrible. I am now at my neighbours grandparents house (thanks guys). We had a lovely dinner and now I am really, really tired. Rest day will happen either tomorrow..but probably in a couple days. Thanks for all the support I recieve, it really makes this ride easier for me. It is still such a battle everytime I step out that door. Everyday is different and the highs are great but the lows are like the worst day of the year. Sleep and protien are keys to sucess so thats what I,m going to hit up right now. Tomorrow will bring a hilarious story, I just have this feeling haha....I never told you guys about the time I actually tried to ride a horse. It was an experience for sure......males are agressive.

Goodnight

5 comments:

Ann Marcotte ( not your Mom) said...

Another inspirational read. Each day you grow physically and mentally stronger and I and the rest of your extended family are so proud of you. I am at work reviewing the Rick Hansen 25th year anniversary Man in Motion- World Tour celebrations which begin next week. There will be over 7000 medal bearer who are travelling across the country beginning (on the east coast) to recreate his route. Guess what you beat them to it. The medal bearer are choosen based on the values of determination and excellence and that is definately you. Hope you and your Mom have a good day and take the day of rest, you deserve it.

Love Aunt Ann

Anonymous said...

Biceps femoris tendonitis is a worry now. Dropping your seat a little may help and moving it forward can ease pain. Make sure your cleat alignment is proper allowing for your natural biomechanics.

Rest will be very important. Ice. Elevation. Compression.

Take good care of your body for it carries you.

I am wishing you all the best forward.

Victoria ex-phys

Anonymous said...

saw a post about your ride from the queensu twitter page - i'm also starting as a freshman in the fall this and is so inspirational. keep up the amazing work that you're doing! i thought my 10k run for cancer was difficult but seeing what you've taken on is mind blowing. props.

Grandpa said...

Adam: YOUR GRANDMOTHER AND I ARE SO PROUD OF YOU. I READ YOUR BLOG EVERY DAY. I AM WORRIED ABOUT YOUR HEALTH, YOU ARE GETTING TOO THIN. EAT MORE AND FINISH YOUR DAY WITH STOUT BEER AND A GOOD CHOCOLATE BAR. I AM GOING TO SEND A NOTE TO THE TV STATIONS IN OTTAWA SO THEY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
LOVE GRANDPA MARCOTTE

Ian Sinclair said...

Hey Adam:

It's your Unclie Ian, Aunt Susan and cousins Madeleine and Ghislaine writting from Montreal. Haven't read your entire blog, but look froward to the whole story. Your in for a dramatic change as you leave the praries and head into Norther Ontario. Don't let the hills get you down. Remember that for every hill you climb you will be rewarded with the downhill on the back side! If you overshoot Kington we'll see you in Montreal!

Take care and talk to you soon,
Bon Courage!
Ian Sinclair