Saturday 6 August 2011

Day 1 rollercoaster

Hello everyone,

I did it!, my first day is complete. I biked 164km today from Tswaassen to Hope. Of course there were some challenges but all in all it wasn't too bad. The first challenge was actually hilarious. I was biking on the 99 I think, lost of course and Global TV calls asking were I am. I was supposed to be on the 7. As I talk I realize there is a parallel highway next to the 99. A small forest separated the two so I decided to do a little bush whacking. I uncliped and walked into the unknown, pushing branches out of my face. I emerged on the other side laughing and smiling. Grass and twigs covered me all over and I crossed highway 7 to the appropriate shoulder. What a start 'eh haha I met a man named Peter on the other side because I was looking at my map and facing the wrong direction. Peter is a great man and I am so fortunate to have met him. The TV crew rolled up and we had an interesting interview. I said "Vancouver is a gong show" on air (not the city, the roads is what I meant), I was all smiles though because I just ran through a thicket to meet everyone. After the interview Peter and I headed off and what was supposed to be a 10 km ride for Pete turned into a 60 km ride. We talked the whole way and the time just flew by. If I could, I would have Peter come the whole way, life is so much easier on the road with a friend. After Peter left I still had 100 km to bike by my self. I have literally not stopped eating since 11 am. Half the battle is keeping your body running in optimum condition. Around Mission I had a leak in my rear tire, I pumped it up every 30 min to keep in between 50 and 70 psi ( I ride 110psi) In retrospect that was quite stupid of me because a cyclist exerts way more energy on a flat (I was tired okay) Cycling 160km takes way more time and energy than I thought. I cycled for 6 and a half hours. That's a really long time to be sitting on a seat not much wider than my fist. Eventually I arrived in Hope and was so stoked to have finished the first day. I jumped in the tub for an ice bath and then a bunch of choc milk (thanks Kathy). Tomorrow will be the real test however. If I can't recover in 12 hours then this ride will be a living hell haha. I enter the mountains tomorrow. Its going to be a war of attrition. I know I can do it though, if I stay injury free this ride will be a cruzeeeeee. I'm off to bed. Wish me luck tomorrow and I will update when I can.

ps I was swarmed with mosquito's today and was jumping around like a crazy man. I need to get used to the bugs...all will come in time. Also, thanks so much Peter for everything you did. I wont forget about you and will email you soon. I think I'm staying with the Hwy 3....I heard you were on TV !! haha

 have a good night

No comments: