Tuesday 9 August 2011

day 4 bonjour bonjour

hello hello,

I am in a small town called Christiana Lake. I had a bit of a rough go today to be honest. Left Rock Creek way too late and started grinding down the highway. I Stayed at a lovely b and b last night. If you are ever in Rock Creek ( because we all go there all the time) I recommend Grouse Ridge bed and breakfast, "where one can relax....naturally". Wilf will show you his homemade guitar and his lovely wife will make an excellent and nutritious breakfast! They also have a horse named Mister Cool. I really wanted to gallop around with my hair flowing, change my name to Fernando, and race  over the grassy hills but decided I should probably stick to the bike..and the name Adam. I have this stupid bag on the back of my bike and it slows me down to a crawl up the mountains. I actually don't need any of the contents in there and really want to throw it on the ground so the bears can eat my sunscreen but I think my mom would be upset. I arrived in Grand forks after a long, long descent. I went into a Subway there to refill and use the washroom like a normal human being. I met a really great women there (I forget her name) and told her what I was doing. She was touched by my story and gave me a gift card for 25 dollars at Subways all over the country. 2 truckers also came in and put down 10 bucks for another card....now I am going to be honest here. The women probably doesn't make enough money to give 25 dollars away like that to every young man that walks in her joint. But its not the money that gets me. She offered for me to stay at her place for the night and told everyone she could what I was doing. I only knew her for 5 minuets..I don't even know her name! That really means a lot who ever you are and tomorrow, I am riding up that scary mt pass for about 5 hours and riding up to the highest pass in Canada right after for another 5 hours to reach Creston (200km) I am dedicating it to you, who ever you are. Its people like you that get me through 7 and half hours of pain and suffering. Tomorrow will be about 12 hours. I bought a bunch of food for dinner and am currently eating plain, raw, spinach..hmmmmm. I bought a whole box and am just entering mow town right now. Here are some interesting fax about my ride. I drink about 10 huge water bottles every 7 hours. I eat like a mad man right after I get off the bike and drink a liter or more of choc milk. I dance on my bike because I always listed to music and wave to cool cars along the road. Sometimes I yell at wild animals to see what they do and Instead of losing weight for this ride I think I'm gaining muscle every where. I actually don't want that because more muscle means more blood to pump for my heart.

Tomorrow will test me to my max. Its just like a really hard tour stage. Did you know that the tour de France is around 3700km. they have 26 days to do it. My ride is 4700km..I have only 4 more days. Blows, my, mind. Anyways I'm going to drink tons of water, bath in salts(thanks Jen) and hopefully make some new Friends. I started naming my bike and gear after girls in my life so I am always surrounded by women, therefore, never lonely. Pretty smart eh haha oh man. So far Ive biked somewhere near 500km. 500x5 is 2500. That's how much money I have raised just from riding alone. In another post I will tell you just how hard this ride really is. That's all for now!

ps, Lach, your music is hilarious and I think you need some counselling. Peter, I wish you were here bud. I lost your email......naturally. So mine is beaudoin.adam@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tomorrow will be a test of mind over excruciating pain. I named my quads Lance and Thor for the occasion. Female names didn't feel right.

Au revoir

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing man. I really regret not chasing you further as a love interest during my time at oak bay..You'll always be the one that got away for me.. One day we'll be together, but till then; good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with today's challenging day. We are reading your blog daily.

See you in Onatrio soon.

Dave Marcotte

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you today my boy. I drove back from where I left you on the road yesterday and was amazed at the distance and all the climbing you've done to get to where you are right now - you're a tank! Good luck today as it will be you're biggest test so far. Getting to Castlegar today would be enough for most people - just so you know.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to wish your sister a Happy Birthday today!

Anonymous said...

Adam..we are blown away by your dedication and are thinking of you every day! Good luck with this mother of a ride with Lance and Thor. The Bosworths

Terry said...

Hi Buddy,

Were you the guy riding down the Kootenay pass in the yellow jacket tonight and passed a group of cyclists?
Either way, Christina Lake to Creston is the craziest day of cycling in your life. Wow. I don't think your friends or family will ever realize how difficult that day of riding is.
Please give me a call if you need any assistance before you get moving again out of town. Bike nutrition, food, a tune up, etc. let me know how I can help. Don't hesitate to call, 250-402-3123.
If you would like a brewery tour in the morning, give me a call and I'll hook it up (even if it's early)
We'll definitely make a donation to your cause. Best of luck with the rest of your ride.

Cheers,
Terry

Adam said...

Thanks everyone! To the lovely lady who had the first comment. Thanks for you kind wishes. There are always ones that get away. Terry, thanks man. I think you may be the only person in this blog that has any idea of what I accomplished today. You should try it man, its absolutely amazing.

Clare said...

Adam-- I am laughing out loud here reading your comments! I think you should switch from Kin to English. This is so awesome! I'm posting your blog on my facebook so my friends can see it too. Anyway, keep up the good work! If anyone can do this, it's you-- and good luck to Lance and Thor too ;)