Sunday 28 August 2011

168k grueling day

Hello,

As I write this I am so exhausted I can barely function in a proper manner. I rode for 168km today and at least half of that was up hill. I started too late because I was so tired from yesterday's effort. Just 200 meters in I had to climb this huge hill and that really sucked. I grinded the whole day till 100km. The going was slow and there was so much climbing. I climbed forever it seemed, up down up down up up up up. My Dad joined me for the last 80k and that helped. I finally made it to Marathon completely exhausted. I have been out of cell service for quite sometime now but tapped into a motel's internet. That's the only reason yesterday's post was  uploaded. I ate and met a man from Atlanta who was pretty cool. He was going on a fishing trip near where I was a few days before and was a cyclist himself. I ride an American century everyday. People train for months just to do one. I have done about 20 in a row. I don't even know anymore. I hate this feeling when I  get off the bike. Imagine  you're covered in hot and sticky sunscreen/bug guts/sweat for the last 6 hours in the powerful sun and then  you get off the bike totally drained and feel like passing out. I ate dinner and felt like puking the whole time, I just stared at the dirt and hoped this  sensation would pass...... It didn't. I went into the shower and tried to wash away all the after burn of the ride and feel like a normal person again. That didn't work either. Now I'm lying in the tent feeling totally done typing out  this blog.. I can barely think let alone formulate  intelligent  sentences. Anyways enough of  my complaining. This ride has great days and not so great days. Just like life except multiplied by a large number. Tomorrow will be the same and  I will battle and dig deep into my muscles and soul. Each day I am tested so much. I have done very well up until this point and only have 8 days left....that's like Sask and MB though. There are no rest days left to take (out of luck there Kathy haha) I just have to hope I stay injury free and take each day with a positive attitude. Yeh Adam. haha I was going to attempt to make  contact with the outside world  and call friends in McGill and  Victoria. As it turns out I am way too tired to do anything else except drink Boost and  lie in the tent. I have developed a very high level of mental toughness and  am already preparing for tomorrows challenges. I made it through today alive which  is a big deal and  my body is now scrambling to replenish its glycogen stores. I have lived on the road for 21 days and am used to this but boy oh boy is it ever hard sometimes. I brought my acoustic guitar along for this trip and university but have always been too tired to play it. None of you probably know this but I actually really like to play guitar and write music. I than perform for a very select audience...(females and old people) I actually played in front of 200 people this year for the first time performing in public (go big or go home). That was absolutely hilarious and a lot of fun. My stage name is Mystic Man and he also appears at a good party every once and a while. Mystic will make an appearance at Queens at some point but in a very mystical way haha maybe  with a cape and a cool hat? (probably opt out of the hat) OKayyyyy so now I think I should really go to bed now. Goodnight, I found out today that I have 6000 views. I thought I had something like  200. Thanks so much for listening  and  supporting me on all different levels.  

Kathy thanks for that email,  I read it at the gas station in Marathon when I was destroyed and it made me feel like I can finnish the day with out major suffering. To Peter (the guy who emailed me 3 provinces ago) I have been too busy and tired to formulate a proper response but thanks! I look forward to meeting your daughter and looking at your blog once I reach Queens.

ps I already feel much better just in  the last 45 min and am ready to destroy moderately large hills again tomorrow. If not I will be the one destroyed but something tells me that won't happen. 

Goodnight 

White Lake Provincial Park

7 comments:

Dave Marcotte said...

Good work Adam. Tough days are part of the deal. If it was easy we would all be doing it. We all know that you are tough enough to see this through.

See you soon.

Dave

Pamela Palmer said...

Hi Adam, This is Auntie Pam again. I've been reading all of your posts. It's so good to hear how you are and all about your trials and trills on the road. Grandma and Grandpa are getting your posts from Auntie Laurie on Sundays and I speak of of you quite frequently, so they are always up to speed and quite interested in your ride, as we all are. I'm glad you are looking out for Michael when he rides and I was so happy to hear you give such nice praise to your mum, as I know she is truly an angel. :) Keep up the good ride and stay healthy. Oh, P.S. Say Happy Birthday to your Dad for me!

Don said...

Cuddo's to you Adam for what you have accomplished so far and say hello to your family.

You are in an area (White River) where my youngest brother lived.
He had a long struggle with cancer (10 years) and we lost him 8 years ago at the age of 50. He also played the guitar.

I know that he will be looking down on you and helping you up some off those hills.
You struggle each day but you seem to be very determined to complete this quest and I believe you will.

Stay safe, thank you for stopping at our house on your way through, wish we could do more for you.

Don

Roger Landry said...

hi Adam, i'm your dad's cousin Roger, but i think i only met you once or twice at family reunions when you were just a kid...i guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree because your dad was always a great athlete, and i wouldn't have wanted to go toe to toe in the ring with your Grampa( my Uncle Nels)...anyways, i've been tuning in to your blog and just wanted to say that i'm truly impressed with what you are doing to raise awareness and money for cancer....the physical and mental fortitude it takes to accomplish this is huge(as you're well aware)...you clearly have a good head on your shoulders, and a supportive family ...good luck the rest of the way, and at Queen's in the fall....take care.

Anonymous said...

Hard days like these that forge the transformation from boy to man. Smell the air. Taste the freedom. Feel your strength grow.

You will draw on this experience for the rest of your life to help you bring light and excel in your darkest hours.

They aren't just hills. They are doors.

Victoria ex-phys

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Adam. You are doing amazing.
Lot's of great scenery ahead. The Sault area will flatten out and it will be just downhill to Kingston.
John Susan Jaymie Dylan

Aunt Karen said...

Adam...it is the home stretch. We are all so exciting to see you and to cheer you in to Kingston!! Glad you are enjoying Celina's musical selections. We have suggested a better route for you that brings you close to David and Ann's cottage. See the email to your mom.