Thursday 1 September 2011

148km. great day! and a hilarious night yet again.

Hey everyone,

Today was really great. I smiled, I danced, I laughed and I destroyed kilometers. This ride is so weird. I know there are people who read this thing every day and have followed me from the very beginning. You individuals must be wondering what drug I am taking because my mood jumps around like a metapausal mother. Each day is different and my emotions vary so greatly from just 48 hours ago. I woke up today with a smile and I was ready to hit the road. My dad said the mallet man hit his legs last night and he took a day off. My legs have grown to the size of small children and were ready for a work out. I ate a hearty meal at McDonalds because there was not a motel breakfast. I felt like a rock was in my stomach and set off on the bike with Michael Jackson blasting on the ipod. That guy has some talent incase you have been living in a cave for the last 40 years - like golem. I was having such a good time, the sun was shining and all was great. Chris, thanks so much for working on Lance and Thor, they felt so strong today. I was in no hurry today and peddled along at 25km/h. My mom told me to ramp up the pace or we were driving so I kicked it up to 32 for the rest of the day. I am just going to go out and say this. I have 3 days left!!!! I am so excited I feel like a 6 year old girl about to ride a pony. I have overcome so much adversity, struggled against all odds and battled through monstrous amounts of pain in the last 27 days. I have dug deeper into my being than I ever want to for the rest of my life because going to that place is very frightening...basically I felt like I was dying. Against all this hardship, I have overcome it all. If you read through the posts since day one I think you not only read a story of a young man cycling across the country for cancer but also a transformation of self. I learned like 6 life lessons a day! haha. Today's were, focus on the things you can control and work through the things you can't. A smile is better than a frown. Life is really short and can end at in a moment. Love your family. Live life to the fullest and sing, laugh and love. I sound like a kindergarden teacher but that's what I learnt today through experiences. The day went on and the sun faded into night. I rode until I thought it was unsafe because of the light. By the way, congratulations Ontarians for having the worst and most dangerous roads in all on my trip so far for cyclists. I have almost gotten hit by a car several times in the last 48 hours because the shoulder is a foot wide and there is 1 lane traffic on one side and on the other is gravel. If my wheel goes into the gravel I fall onto the road and get run over. Maybe now you can see why I was so angry yesterday and for parts of today. Anyways, we ended up at the weirdest bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at. The dog is 150 pound lion killer (I'm not kidding) the hostess grabs your face and has a cat that jumps onto your food. I talked to her about reincarnation for 10 mins while the dog looked like it was going to rip Thunder Punch off Lance. She found a chipmunk in the pantry too. Things like this are what makes this trip so special and unique. Tomorrow I hope will be a good day but who knows, I have had some really terrible ones for the last week straight so we will see. I must go to bed now but thanks to everyone for the support. It really does mean the world to me and I wish I could thank each of you personally.


ps I broke through 4000km today, that was pretty great. I also had mechanical issues but sorted that out pretty quick. Im off to bed. Thanks to my friends for still acknowledging me and skyping. I can't wait to see all of you and celebrate this thing properly....that's all for now!

Bon soir

Adam Beaudoin
near Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam, I can't wait to connect with at the 'family cottage' on Saturday, you have grown so much and traveled so far. You are an inspiration to your younger cousins! God speed and keep safe, Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

Adam! three days... holy cow, the time has gone quickly (at least for us blog readers!). May these last riding days be safe and happy... wish we could be there to witness your ride into Queens!
Thinking of you every day.
Lise and Michael
Kate and Nora.

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam, So where are you now?
Can you update the Google map at the top of the page or let us know?

I have a bet with friends that you will make it!

Ann Marcotte ( not your Mom) said...

Adam, May your ride today be safer and the roads somewhat better. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and today will make you some high protein snacks for you and the other amazing athletes traveling with you. Like one of the comments on the blog yesterday stop for ice cream in Deep River it will energize you. Highway 17 and 41 tomorrow should have better shoulders, can't speak for the drivers and then the end of tomorrow you will see more ATVs than cars. Stay safe and keep smiling,will think of you in spinning class this morning.

Ann

Dave Marcotte said...

Hey Adam. Sorry about the roads. But just three more days and I think that some of the roads ahead are not much travelled so there should be little competition from traffic. We will meet up along HWY 41 sometime early afternoon and I will ride along the Venacher Road with you. Maybe you will consent to peddle with one mighty leg only so I can keep up!

AS always ride safe, stay aware. Your family is looking forward to celebrating with you tomorrow.

Dave

Ms. Wilderness said...

Hi Adam -

Greetings from Andy, Willow & Joan, your friends from Agawa Bay, Lake Superior :) Thanks for sharing the sunset and "conversing like a normal person" with us.

We just wanted to send you a big hello & cheer you on your way. You & your family are such inspiring individuals. We very much enjoyed meeting you.

Good luck with everything, always!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know a couple of us here at Queen's can't wait to meet you. See you on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

You're in the home stretch now. Way to go Adam. It looks all downhill on the map!

John and Dylan

Adam said...

Hey guys! I'm feeling so great. I've already done 60km and am eating my lunch. Dave I have been looking forward to ridding with you for weeks. Prepare yourself haha just kidding. I cant wait to see the family tomorrow night as well. To the queens students, I'm stoked too, we have some celebrating to do.

Kevin said...

Hey Adam,

I hope to see you when I'm out for my Ride here in Kingston on Sunday. Keep on truckin - you're doing an amazing thing! Queen's is going to be a better place by having a student like you here.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the rest of your ride, and welcome to Queen's! Cha gheill!

Anonymous said...

Now the hills are mostly down until the great lake Ontario. Fill your lungs with the humid air and enjoy these last few days.

Keep your cadence up and your spirits high.

Victoria ex-phys